Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Sweet Lou Pleads the Fifth

NY Daily News columnist Bill Madden reported prior to the 2007 season that Joe Torre would be fired and Lou Piniella would be the new Yankees manager. That never came to fruition, but according to Madden, Sweet Lou will work for the Yankees again one day.

Madden reported this past Saturday that Yankees general partner Hal Steinbrenner told him that Piniella would work for the Yankees again one day.
And on Thursday, Hal Steinbrenner, reiterating his father's longstanding sentiments about Piniella "being part of the family," stated matter-of-factly that "after Lou's done with the Cubs, he'll be back with us as a consultant."
Piniella denies having had any conversations with Steinbrenner about his future and is quite content with his life in Chicago and is only focusing on the Cubs.
"I was there a long time," he said. "Right now, like I told [Madden], my only concern is the Chicago Cubs. I've never talked to Hal about it. I'm friends with Hal. When I was managing there, he basically was around learning the ropes in baseball a little bit. But outside of that, I haven't talked to him about any position at all.

"I'm going to do the best job I can here, and whatever happens after my managing career is over happens."

No comments:

Post a Comment