1B Mark Teixeira
2B Robinson Cano
SS Derek Jeter
3B Alex Rodriguez
LF Johnny Damon
CF Bretty Gardner/Melky Cabrera
RF Xavier Nady
DH Hideki Matsui
C Jorge Posada
1B/OF Nick Swisher
C Jose Molina
UT Angel Berroa
OF Bretty Gardner/Melky Cabrera
Now, of course, this can all change in a number of ways.
- Xavier Nady or Nick Swisher gets dealt prior to the season. As we've mentioned, we're against any such a move. Let Nady play out the year and get draft picks when you let him walk after the season. Don't talk to us about keeping payroll low.
- The Yankees decide to help limit Joba Chamberlain's innings by having him start the season in the bullpen. That would mean that Phil Hughes, Ian Kennedy, or Al Aceves would be in the starting rotation. We don't see the Yankees repeating their 2008 pattern.
- The bullpen spots are not guaranteed after Mariano Rivera and Damaso Marte. Of course, Mo's status will depend how he responds to off-season shoulder surgery. He has yet to start throwing. Right now it appears that Marte will be the only lefty in the pen with Phil Coke starting the season in Scranton's rotation.
- It's a minor one, but the utility infielder could either be Angel Berroa, Cody Ransom, or a Spring Training invitee. Berroa is a better shortstop than Ransom and that will weigh heavily in his favor.
- Jorge Posada's health. Posada expects to be ready for the season, but if he's not ready to go, Jose Molina gets the starts, with either Kevin Cash or Francisco Cervelli backing him up.