Friday, May 9, 2008

Baby Boomer

The NY Post is reporting this morning that David Wells would like to return to the Yankees...again. Wells turns 45 on May 20 (same day as our guy Bobby Murcer), and due to being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, has dropped 20 pounds (his reported weight is 245).
"I'm in shape, I'd just have to fine-tune a couple of things," Wells said. "I'd need a little bit of time, but not much. Physically I feel fine, real good."

"If you're not going that good, what the hell, it doesn't hurt to make a change and take a chance," Wells said. "I'm the type of guy, just give me the ball and let me do my thing. I'm not afraid to fail."
Boomer was a Yankees from 1997-1998 and 2002-2003. We've never forgotten the fact that he had to walk off the mound in the 2003 World Series because of injuries that could have been avoided had he stayed in shape.
"New York has always been the favorite of all my stops," Wells said. "When I got traded, I was bitter. When they didn't re-sign me, I was bitter, but I know that wasn't the Yankees, everything was Joe Torre. I wasn't one of his boys. I don't think he liked the way I lived my life or that I spoke my mind."
Or perhaps it was because you were always out of shape and couldn't be relied on any more. Hank Steinbrenner didn't say "yes" when the question was posed to him, but he didn't say "no" either.
"I've thought about it," Steinbrenner told The Post. "I saw him on TV (an appearance on the Best Damn Sports Show), and I did think about it when I was watching." "You never know," Steinbrenner said. "[Wells] hasn't come up in conversation (with Cashman), but I've had so much other [bleep] to deal with lately."
The 21-yr major league veteran has amassed 239 career wins for 9 different teams, with multiple stops in New York, Toronto, and San Diego. He struggled with the Padres last season before being released on August 16. A little over a week later he was picked up by the Dodgers, going 4-1, 4.57 as the Dodgers fell short of a playoff appearance.

One Yankee veteran told the Post's Mike Puma that he wouldn't be surprised to see Wells back in pinstripes. Such is life in Yankeeland.

No comments:

Post a Comment