Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Happy Birthday Bobby Murcer

Our boy turns 62 today! God Bless and good health to our all-time favorite. Just found out from Peter Abraham yesterday that Bobby has written a new book, "Yankee For Life, My 40-Year Journey in Pinstripes", and will be signing it at Yogi Berra's museum on Thursday, May 29, from 7-9 p.m.

Neil Best of the Houston Chronicle has more on the inspiration behind the book.
"I envisioned writing a book, but not until my total career was over with," he (Bobby Murcer) said. "Since I got cancer, and it's pretty deadly stuff, I thought maybe I ought to move it up a year or two if I was going to do it."

On one hand, there are no headline-making revelations, no salacious stories, no naughty words.

"I didn't want to use any curse words, and wanted to make sure a dad could sit down and read a book with his son without having to be embarrassed about certain things," he said.

On the other, for all of Murcer's focus on his passionate devotion to his wife, Kay, and to the Yankees, he avoids tedious sappiness by keeping things moving with his storytelling.
We're not sure if we can make it Yogi's on Thursday, but you can bet we'll be getting this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment