Friday, May 2, 2008

YES, Bobby Murcer is Back

We were greeted with exciting news in today's Star Ledger, Bobby Murcer will be back in the YES broadcast booth tonight and this weekend, and will work out of the studio next week. Bobby was in the Stadium last night, and would have been broadcasting earlier this year if not for a health scare during spring training.

It had been a little over a year since Bobby's surgery for brain cancer, and the results of an MRI had shown the cancer might have returned. But doctors found that it was just scar tissue/residual effect of the surgery and he's doing well. He also spoke last night with Newsday's Anthony Rieber.
He joked about his current treatment regimen -- steroids. I guess I shouldn't say that," he said.

Murcer said he is "cancer-free" after a biopsy in March but added, "I had some setbacks after my biopsy and I'm still not 100 percent."

"I haven't been as strong this year as I was last year," he said. "But everything's all right. Just glad to be here."

In case you have seen it yet, MSG Plus+ is airing an interview with Bobby on their show Halls of Fame. Host Fran Healy has never been a favorite of ours (he may be one of the worst game announcers ever), but he does a good job in this half-hour segment that digs a little deeper than Bobby's boiler plate Yankeeography.

Welcome back Bobby!

No comments:

Post a Comment