Thursday, May 15, 2008

I Think He's Gonna Make it

Just like Meatloaf, NYU graduating student William Lopez came up short of home plate too. The 21-yr old was sitting in the seats at Yankee Stadium for his graduation ceremony, when he was struck with genius. Okay, he probably thought it out ahead of time.

Lopez leaped on to the field and made a mad dash for home plate. Cops stopped him before he could make a head first dive into home plate. 6,000 students and 20,000 guests cheered him on as he came up short.

"I was trying to make it to home plate," Lopez told The Post after he was issued a summons for trespass. "I wanted to do a head-first dive. I almost made it, only 10 feet to go."

The Tisch School of the Arts grad said cops told him, "You ruined your graduation, and I said, 'Are you kidding me? The crowd was cheering me on.' "

Clearly Lopez's family didn't think he was capable of such a stunt.
Lopez's father, Bob Lopez, said when he saw the figure running on the field, "My wife asked, 'Could that be William?' I said, 'No. That kid's an athlete."
NYU wasn't so thrilled with Lopez's stunt.
(NYU spokesman John Beckman) "...the Yankees were very gracious hosts and we were grateful to be allowed to be there, and it is always disappointing to us when one member of our community thinks there's a special set of rules for him or her."
Spoil sports.


No comments:

Post a Comment