Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Daily Yankeeland

Mike Mussina has stepped up during spring training to school his young teammates. Ian Kennedy already had a locker next door, but Moose asked the clubhouse guys to switch Billy Traber with Phil Hughes.



Because of how much money they have invested in Kei Igawa, the Yankees are not giving up on the struggling left-hander just yet. To provide better communication with their Japanese import, Joe Girardi and new pitching coach Dave Eiland sat down with Igawa and his interpreter for a 30 minute chat yesterday.
“It was a very friendly talk,” Igawa said through his interpreter. “Definitely, communication is the first step we want to take.”
For some reason, statistical obsessives are obsessed with showing what a poor fielder Derek Jeter is. The hallowed ivy league halls of the University of Pennsylvania is the latest.

The Bergen Record has a meet and greet feature on Dave Eiland.

Jorge Posada has never been afraid to express his opinion, but as a senior member of the club, he words carry more weight now. Posada said, if asked, he thinks Joba Chamberlain should stay in the bullpen.
"I think he's capable of starting and he's done it in the past, but with his makeup and his body, I think he just looks like a reliever to me," Posada said. "If they asked me, I'd tell them. But I think I'm the last guy they ask."
Joe Girardi caught Kyle Farnsworth 73 times when the two were members of the Cubs from 2000-2002. The new Yankees skipper is confident he can help turn Farnsworth around.

"I believe in Kyle Farnsworth because I've personally witnessed it," said Girardi. "I know he can be an outstanding pitcher. I know he has the ability to strike out people in tough situations.

"I expect big things from him."

The Beaver County Times & Allegheny Times has a nice piece on their hometown boy Scott Patterson, who is in his first big league with the Yankees. The 28-yr old right-hander has been from pillar to post trying to pitch at the big level. With the uncertainty of the Yankees' pen, Patterson has as good a chance as anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment