Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Compliment or Additional Pressure


Hank Steinbrenner has quickly proven he's not afraid to speak his mind. When the subject is Joe Girardi, the new blazer-wearing Stein doesn't hold back there, either.

Hank Steinbrenner told The (New York) Post yesterday that he is extremely impressed with what he has seen in his new manager this first week. How impressed?

"Truthfully," Steinbrenner said, "I think Girardi is going to end up being one of the greatest managers in the history of the game. That's my gut feeling. He reminds me of Billy Martin - without the baggage."

Girardi was genuinely touched by Hammerin' Hank's comments.

"That's a nice compliment," he said as he sat on the edge of his office desk. "It feels great to hear that."

Girardi then went on to discuss how he will handle things this year.

How would Girardi describe his managerial philosophy? "I don't know," he said. Girardi is not trying to come up with a fancy philosophy. He's just trying to keep it real.

"When I think about what's important to me: [it's] preparation, accountability, trust, players not only trusting me, but trusting each other," he explained.

"I care about them as men first," he added.

Girardi then passed his philosophies and feelings along to the team during this morning's meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment