Thursday, February 21, 2008

The New Whipping Boy

He's still raking in the dough, but Scott Boras isn't being looked upon too highly by some of his current and former clientele of late.

We won't regurge the whole Alex Rodriguez contract biz again, but A-Rod did mention yesterday that he hasn't spoken to Boras since that whole fiasco. The two were once thick as thieves.

Now the mouth that roared II (Schilling would be the mouth that roared I) is taking shots at Boras. Gary Sheffield needs to have a chip on his shoulder and he's decided what that should be this year.

It all stems from Sheffield's contract negotiations with the Yankees prior to the 2004 season. Sheffield ended up negotiating the contract himself and he was not pleased with the outcome.
"Can you explain why (Miguel) Tejada gets six years, (Vladimir) Guerrero gets five years and I get three? He cost me two years of a contract because he was trying to tarnish my name,'' Sheffield said in 2004. "The whole year in Atlanta, I had to get the players' association to stop him from writing me threatening letters saying, 'Either you let me do your contract or I'll be forced to sue you.' That's a threat and harassment.''
Since Boras was still under contract when Sheff signed the deal in late 2003, he wants a cut of the money.
"Nothing happens. Then, he comes back, `I want some more money.' That's basically the way he's acting,'' Sheffield said. "I don't know why. It's probably personal with him. But when it's done, it's going to be personal with me.''
Grievances have been filed and depositions given (another deposition will take place on Feb. 28) and the case should be resolved soon. Sheffield hasn't been able to comment on the proceedings, but vowed not to hold his tongue when it's over.
"It ain't going to be pretty,'' he said. "No fine is going to be big enough. No suspension is going to be long enough."

"Total hell,'' he said, referring to his time as a Boras client. "I shouldn't have ever introduced myself to him. Period. Bad person.''
Kenny Rogers also fired Boras this past winter when the agent tried to negotiate with teams other than the Tigers. That was in direct conflict to the pitcher's wishes.

One more Sheff note- earlier this week he said he missed playing for the Yankees. Aw, how sweet. We can't speak for everyone, but we don't miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment