Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Ring not the Bling

When Alex Rodriguez made his pronouncement on Thursday that he thought Derek Jeter would win the MVP award this year, you already knew what Jeter's reaction would be. "No thanks, give me a World Series win". But Jeter has stepped up his off-season workout to help make a run at a ring more possible.

This past off-season coach Larry Bowa mentioned that Jeter's legs were beat up at the end of the season. That he was having trouble getting around. In an attempt to curtail such problems in the future, Jeter changed up his exercise regimen over the winter.
"I did a lot of speed (drills), a lot of agility, a lot of lateral movement," Jeter said before yesterday's workout. "A lot of explosive stuff to try to get quicker and faster and move around a little better.

"Last year I had some problems with legs. You do whatever you can to try to strengthen your legs."
A lot of people are already jealous of Derek Jeter, but they may be even more so after the statement Jeter made the other day. He has trouble putting on weight.
"In past offseasons, I'd eat as much as I could," said Jeter, who turns 34 in June. "This year I basically just said, 'All right, this is the card I've been dealt. So I might as well not try to gain too much weight, just work with what I have."

No comments:

Post a Comment