Friday, February 29, 2008

Beyond the Bluster

ESPN The Magazine has an excellent feature on Hank Steinbrenner- his origins, what he sees for the Yankees now and in the future. Because of his "shoot from the hip" manner of dealing issues, most people assume he's a clone of his Dad, but Hank's quick to point out that it is not the case.

While he wants to win now, Hank also recognizes the need for patience, especially with the team's young players and prospects. Working at the family owned Kinsman Horse Farm in the 1980s, the 20-something Hank became frustrated with his father's approach with the team's future.
"I think my breeding background has absolutely had a bearing on my approach to baseball," Hank says, sitting in his new office overlooking the Yankees' training complex in Tampa. "Building through scouting and the draft, then having the patience to see it through, to see the young talent reach its potential, without panicking.

While I was at Kinsman going over all of that data about the horses, I was also getting the scouting reports and minor league stats for the Yankees. Way back in the 1970s, I can remember seeing LaMarr Hoyt's numbers in Double-A and thinking, Wow! Then Dad traded him to the White Sox for a quick fix.

He also traded Scott McGregor, José Rijo and Doug Drabek, and he wanted to trade Ron Guidry before they stopped him. We basically provided most of baseball's Cy Young Award winners, and it drove me nuts. I was sitting at the farm thinking, If I ever run the team, I won't be doing things that way."
Hank does admit to inheriting his father's trait of blurting things out a little too quickly, but he's quick to point out that there's a plan behind it (that's kind of a contradiction, don't ya think?). For instance, his shot at the NFL's steroid problem was an attempt to divert attention away from baseball. He's still waiting for other baseball personnel to back him up on it.

Hank seems to be, if you will, the kindler, gentler version of George. An analogy by a Yankees employee who has dealt with both Steinbrenners, exemplifies the difference between the two men.
"A couple of years ago, I ended up on the elevator with Mr. Steinbrenner," says a member of the Tampa grounds crew,referring to George. "I jumped off at the last second before the door closed because we made eye contact and I thought I was going to hyperventilate.

Last week, Hank walked into that same elevator and I started to bail again, but he reached out to shake my hand and asked me if we had everything we needed. He probably thinks there's something wrong with me, because I just stood there with my mouth hanging open. But I'm sure he knows that he's a little intimidating."
Hank knows he has to prove himself, and that can add pressure to Joe Girardi, Brian Cashman, and the player's working for him. But Hank also knows the importance of building within. Hopefully win or lose, that won't change.

Kudos to SlidingintoHome for finding this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment