Friday, June 6, 2008

With the 140th pick - Corban Joseph

The Yankees went back to the high school ranks to select SS Corban Joseph, the 140th pick overall, in the 3rd round. The 6'0", 168 pounder is a product of Franklin High School in Tennessee. Joseph had committed to the University of Kentucky, but he told Tennessean.com that he will likely go pro.
I've always wanted to play professional ball," said Joseph, who hit .510 with 15 home runs and was The Tennessean's Midstate Player of the Year. "I'm pretty sure I will go."

"I want my swing to look good," said Joseph, The Tennessean 2008 baseball player of the year.

"I can tell when my swing is off. I can look at it on video and tell what I did."And more important — he can correct it."Corban is a pure and natural talent at swinging the bat," Franklin assistant coach Kurt Jones said. "He has the potential to be a great hitter in the major leagues. The reason why is every pitch he makes an adjustment."High school kids don't normally do that."They also don't normally spend hours looking at video clips from multiple angles, dissecting every part of a swing. And they don't call up an assistant like Jones throughout the season for extra batting practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment