Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Ponson Readies for Friday Start

Though Hank Steinbrenner has termed his signing, "no risk", bringing back Sidney Ponson is not a good baseball move. The guy has a world of talent, but also a world of food intake, a bad temper, and an alcohol problem that fuels that temper. He was recently pitching well for the Rangers and was cut after a "clubhouse disturbance". It's not the first trouble that Ponson has gotten into, as you recall he slapped a judge in his native Aruba.

But like most athletes with talent, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, etc., chances are not out of the ordinary. So Ponson now gets his 2nd chance with the Yankees. Teams are always looking for pitching, and just like today, the Yankees were in need in 2006. He made 3 starts, 2 relief appearances and put up poor numbers - 0-1, 10.47.

Pitching ability has never been Ponson's problem, but immaturity has followed him everywhere. Mike Puma of the NY Post has the details:

In addition to the Texas clubhouse problem, there's was reportedly a disturbance in a hotel bar too."My girlfriend was there - nothing happened," Ponson said. "Whatever [the Rangers] said about me, they had a reason why they said it. I know I didn't do anything wrong.

"If I did something wrong, why did they let me pitch? Release me on the spot if I was on that short of a leash."

Does Ponson agree with the assessment that he was "disruptive" and "disrespecting" in Texas?

"They probably thought that," Ponson said. "I don't agree with it, but whatever happened in Texas is in the past. I'm not worried about what they have to say. You get a hundred teammates of mine that I've played with in the past. I've never disrespected nobody."

Let's see what he has to say after facing the Mets on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment