Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Breaking News: Smoltz Career May Be Over

The Atlanta Braves have placed John Smoltz on the 15-day disabled list, but Smoltz's season, and possibly his career, may be over. Smoltz pitched out of the pen Monday night, but woke up Tuesday with increased pain in shoulder. He's headed to see surgeon Dr. James Andrews and may opt for season ending surgery.
"I can't compete against my body anymore," Smoltz said on Wednesday during a news conference at Turner Field, where he was accompanied by executive vice president Frank Wren and manager Bobby Cox.

"Yesterday, when he came to the ballpark, it was evident to all of us that it couldn't continue this way," Wren said.

"I said I would retire if the desire was gone," Smoltz said on Wednesday. "I'm not there yet. I'm not there emotionally. Physically, [that's] still to be determined."S
Smoltz has 210 career wins and 154 saves.

No comments:

Post a Comment