Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Torre's Turn

Joe Torre had the opportunity last night to answer Hank Steinbrenner and his other critics. Torre, spoke to Bob Costas on HBO Sports with Bryant Gumbel and handled everything with his usual class and tact.

As you recall, Hank made Torre out to be an ingrate (Dad, always did like you best) in response to Torre's use of the word "insult" for his contract offer. Torre's response did have a veiled shot at Hank.

"Well, I'd like to think I worked together with people to do things. I certainly have never bypassed the fact that George Steinbrenner gave me this opportunity. ... For some reason ... he [Hank] thought I was disrespectful because I said I was insulted. But the insult, the insult came from the incentive-based situation. Unless you understand what sport is all about and how important winning is to you, I don't think you understand the insult part of this thing."
"I said I've been here a long time and I've never needed to be motivated," Torre said. "Plus, in my contract that I get a million-dollar bonus if we do win the World Series. So that's always been there. And, you know, as far as needing incentive to go ahead and win a ballgame, that, that I thought I used the term 'insulting.' And, and that's the way I felt."
Perhaps Jon Heyman should consider Torre's remarks.

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment