Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Roberts, Vina Join the Confessional

Baltimore Orioles 2nd Baseman Brian Roberts admitted to a one-time steroid use in 2003, and retired 2nd Baseman, and current ESPN analyst, Fernando Vina confirmed that he used HGH in that same year.

Both players were named in the Mitchell Report released last Thursday. Roberts was remorseful in his statement.
"I would like to address the allegations that were made against me in the Mitchell Report. I will begin by saying that I have worked very hard to develop a good reputation both on and off the field. I have always taken pride in being a man of integrity and values. I know that by being a professional athlete, I am held to a very high standard. I never have and never will take that for granted. However, I am also human and I have made mistakes.

"In 2003, when I took one shot of steroids, I immediately realized that this was not what I stood for or anything that I wanted to continue doing. I never used steroids, human growth hormone or any other performance-enhancing drugs prior to or since that single incident. I can honestly say before God, myself, my family and all of my fans that steroids or any performance-enhancing drugs have never had any effect on what I have worked so hard to accomplish in the game of baseball. I am very sorry and I deeply regret ever making that terrible decision. My only hope and prayer is that the Orioles, my family, friends and fans that have supported me so faithfully will forgive me."

Roberts was included in the report after testimony by his ex-teammate Larry Bigbie, who recently signed a contract to play in Japan.
"I'm not mad at Larry. I don't hate Larry. Larry is one of my good friends," said Roberts, who acknowledged that he spoke yesterday to Orioles owner Peter Angelos about his intentions, but declined to elaborate on the conversation.

"Obviously from the report, what I gathered was Larry was in a situation where he was asked a question and he had to tell the truth. Larry and I must have had a conversation about it at some point and he thought he remembered. I don't resent Larry, I'm not mad at Larry. It boils down to me, not Larry. I have no problems there."
Coincidentally, Roberts has been actively shopped by the Orioles this off-season.

Vina admitted to HGH use in an interview with ESPN's Bob Ley.
"I tried everything rehabbing," he said. "I came to a point that I was desperate..."

Vina said he tried HGH to heal himself, not to build bulk. "For me, it was to try to get back on the field," he said. "That was the bottom line."

"Was it right? No. Obviously, it was wrong ... I'm embarrassed by it," Vina said.

"I never used steroids," he said. "I never bought steroids from him. All I used was HGH."

No comments:

Post a Comment