Thursday, July 26, 2007

Separating the Ripkens from the Bonds

Here's a great story to illustrate how a ball player should treat people. Umpire attendant Ernie Tyler has an iron man streak of his own - 3,769 games. But that streak will end this weekend when the 83-yr old Baltimore Orioles employee attends Cal Ripken's induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame. And who is footing the bill? Cal Ripken. He invited Tyler to be his guest.

"I saw him was he was 12 years old. I knew his father well," Tyler said Thursday. "What better time to do it than to go now? When I heard he wanted me to go to Cooperstown, how could I say no? The streak doesn't mean that much when you're thinking about your relationship with the Ripken family."

Source

photo courtesy of mlb.com

No comments:

Post a Comment