Sunday, July 7, 2013

Pineda Set For Full Time Stint at Scranton

Photo courtesy of the thetimes-tribune.com

Derek Jeter wasn't the only player of importance rehabbing at Scranton Saturday night. Starting pitcher Michael Pineda, who has yet to pitch a game for the Yankees since his acquisition in the winter of 2011-2012, completed his last rehab start.

The Yankees are in no hurry to add him to their roster, however, so Pineda will be activated Sunday or Monday and optioned to Scranton. Pineda's 30 day rehab assignment expires on Monday.

Pineda's final start came against the Lehigh Valley IronPigs. He struck out seven over five innings of work, allowed  a pair of earned runs, four hits, and two walks.

RaidRiders beat writer Donnie Collins reported that Pineda, who was extremely pumped up to be playing with Jeter, was consistent through his five innings of work. The 6'7" right-hander's fastball remained steady from 92-94 mph. Overall, Pineda was pleased with his start.

"I was feeling pretty good today," Pineda said. "My slider was good, but my change-up was good, too. I had a little trouble in the first inning. But I made an adjustment and went back to pitching."
For Pineda, this game was a microcosm of what he knows he needs to do to be a successful pitcher. Excited and working too fast, he struggled to keep his left shoulder closed in that first inning, which threw him off mechanically. 
In the second inning, he made sure to keep the shoulder tight, which helped him get better tilt on the breaking ball and keep his change-up down in the zone. 
"The thing is, when I close my left shoulder, all my pitches are good," Pineda said. "Open my left shoulder, something happens. When my left shoulder is closed, every pitch is down and every pitch is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment