Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Jose Guillen Amuses Us

We got a good chuckle this morning reading some quotes by Jose Guillen in today's Kanas City Star (TOH to Rotoworld). Seems Jose is embarrassed by his play and embarrassed by how much money he's making for his poor play.

“I’m embarrassed by the money that I’m making,” Guillen said, “and playing the way I’ve been playing. I’ll swear that on my kids’ (lives). I feel very embarrassed.

“Sometimes, I feel I should take money out of my own pocket and buy tickets for every fan. Because you know what? For a $12-million man, these are not the numbers you should be expecting. I admit it. I’m not playing to my potential.”

“I hate making excuses,” he said. “If I suck, then I suck. And I suck. That’s the way I’m playing. If you suck, you suck. You have to take responsibility in this game. Right now, that’s the way I feel.

“Yes, I suck.”

Okay, the whole "I suck" part is genuinely funny, but let's concentrate on the money aspect. Guillen is not the first player to admit he's not living up to his pay. He's not the first to say he should give back some of his proceeds and he will certainly NOT be the first to actually do so.

Seriously, if you are struggling, keep your mouth shut about your money. Because you know damn well you are NOT going to give back or contribute one cent of that $12 million. Besides the fact that the player's union wouldn't let you, just cut out the disingenuous crap.

If Jose Guillen really wants to be a trendsetter than actually pay for some tickets for some kids or something. Just shut up.

No comments:

Post a Comment