Monday, March 9, 2009

Q & A with David Adams

David Adams was the Yankees 3rd round selection in the 2008 amateur draft after a stellar career at the University of Virginia. With Robinson Cano and other second base prospects like Damon Sublett in the organization, Adams knows he has his work cut out for him to make it to the Yankees major league roster one day. But he's got the work ethic, motivation, and skills to do it.

We had the chance to do a Q & A with him recently to talk about not only being drafted by the Yankees, but the Tigers as well, and what the transition has been like to pro ball.


Q:
Who was the ball player or players you looked up to as a kid?

A: Ken Griffey Jr. was always my favorite player to watch. I think everybody my age idolized Jr..

Q: Back in 2005, the Tigers took you in the 21st round out of Grandview Prep High School. Was it a difficult decision opting between pro ball and the University of Virginia?

A: It definitely was a difficult decision coming out of high school. My family and I were in awe throughout the whole recruiting and draft process. It is one of those things every kid dreams of. But at the same time, I wasn't sure what I wanted, so I was just taking it all in as it came.

Q: Your final season at UVA wasn't up to your standards when it comes to hitting. What do you think happened?

A: I have been asked that question regarding my final year at UVA many times... To this day I am still puzzled as to what happened. I had never struggled that badly in my life at the plate, and it seemed like no matter what I tried to do, it just spiraled downhill in the wrong direction the entire season.

Q: The Yankees were keeping tabs on you for a long time, all the way back to your high school days. What went through your mind when you found out they had taken you in the 3rd round in last year's amateur draft? Who gave you the good news?

A: I received a call from the local area scout Scott Lovekamp while my family and I were at dinner. I was pleasantly surprised. Going into the day I didn't know what to expect because of my struggles in my junior year, but to hear that the best team, historically speaking, had just drafted me, I thought to myself what better situation to be in.

Q: You played in 31 games for Staten Island after leaving UVA. How difficult or easy was it to make the transition to pro ball?

A: The transition was a little tough, only because of the physical adjustments I had to make. Coming out of college I felt a little lost with my mechanics at the plate, so days after I was drafted the Yankees sat down with me and set up a plan for a more comfortable setup. So, I spent the entire short season trying to master my new setup, which I now feel very comfortable with.

Q: Unfortunately, the Baby Bombers got swept in the first round of the NY-Penn League playoffs by the Jamestown Jammers. But you did collect 3 hits and an RBI in your first post-season game. How do you balance out the exhilaration of a big game with a bad loss?

A: I think the most important thing players must remember is to respect the game. And by doing that, the team is always first. So, whether or not I go 3-3 or 0-3, if my team wins then I am a happy camper. There is always room to improve regardless of personal success.

Q: Do you expect to start this season at Charleston?

A: I have high expectations for where I play this year, but it is out of my control. I have to go out there and perform, and let my play speak for itself. Whatever happens in the business aspect of baseball is out of my control.

Q: What's your daily routine to get ready, for let's say, a 7 PM game?

A: For a 7 pm game, I like to be at the field early... I will get some breakfast and then head up to field around noon or so for a pregame lift. This will allow some relax time and lunch time before we have to be on the field for pregame routines.

Q: What do you feel you need to work on most this season?

A: I think the most important part of my game I need to work on this season is consistency. I think the aspect of the game that separates big leaguers from minor leaguers, is consistency throughout the entire season.

Q: Which would you rather do, deliver the big hit or the make the big defensive play?

A: How about deliver the big defensive play and then the big hit to win it all, or vice versa. I think anybody would say both.

My Pinstripes: Thanks David and good luck this season!

David Adams: You're very welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment