Saturday, February 21, 2009

Jason Johnson Diagnosed with Eye Cancer

Jason Johnson has had to manage his health his entire adult life due to diabetes, but now the Yankees free agent signee has a bigger battle ahead. George King of the NY Post reported this afternoon that Johnson was diagnosed with retinal cancer in his right eye.

Johnson has been limited to working out indoors since getting the diagnosis prior to reporting to spring training.
"I went to the eye doctor to get a new pair of contacts and they found it,'' said Johnson, who is in camp on a minor league deal. "They sent me to the Wills Eye Institute in Philly. It's supposed to be the best in the world. Only 2,000 people a year get it. They put a radiation plaque on my eye for four days. They told me it has a 98 percent success rate. I can't pitch outside for two weeks. I can see but not real well.''
The 35-yr old was signed to a minor league contract in the off-season to bolster the staff at Scranton as well as provide insurance at the major league level. Johnson was the first pitcher allowed to wear insulin pump while on the mound.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jason,
    I had the same eye cancer in 05. Pay careful attention to abdominal scans often. It went to my liver in nov. of 08 as it will in many cases. It is an aggressive cancer. I will pray for you. Sincerely lynn a moore in MI

    ReplyDelete