Monday, August 5, 2013

Nelson Cruz and His "Whoops"



It's great to see the statements made once a player fails a test for PEDs or gets caught up in some sort of nefarious doings. Texas Rangers outfielder Nelson Cruz had a doozie today.1

"I have been notified by the Commissioner of Major League Baseball that I have been suspended for 50 games for violation of the Joint Drug Agreement. I have decided to accept this suspension and not exercise my rights under the Basic Agreement to appeal. From November 2011 to January 2012, I was seriously ill with a gastrointestinal infection, helicobacter pylori, which went undiagnosed for over a month. By the time I was properly diagnosed and treated, I had lost 40 pounds.
Just weeks before I was to report to spring training in 2012, I was unsure whether I would be physically able to play. Faced with this situation, I made an error in judgment that I deeply regret, and I accept full responsibility for that error. I should have handled the situation differently, and my illness was no excuse. I am thankful for the unwavering support of my family, friends, and teammates during this difficult time. I look forward to regaining the trust and respect of the Rangers organization, my teammates, and the great Rangers fans, and I am grateful for the opportunity to rejoin the team for the playoffs."

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/foul_territory/2013/08/nelson-cruz-statement-i-made-an-error-in-judgment.html#storylink=cpy
How about instead Cruz told the truth, which was I am a free agent after the season and felt I wouldn't get a major deal due to my weakened state. There's also no reason to think Cruz was not using prior to this season.

The Texas Rangers, who thought until this morning that Cruz would appeal the suspension, had this to say:
“The Texas Rangers are disappointed that Nelson Cruz has violated the terms of Major League Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program resulting in his suspension. The Rangers’ organization fully supports the MLB program and its efforts to eliminate performance-enhancing substances from our game. Per the protocol outlined in Major League Baseball’s collective bargaining agreement, the Rangers will have no further comment.”
1 - star-telegram.com

No comments:

Post a Comment