Friday, August 16, 2013

Lackey Needs to Shut His Butt Ugly Face About A-Rod


If you know me at all or have read anything I've written on this blog, other sites, Facebook or Twitter, you know that I am no fan of Alex Rodriguez. I've felt that way for a number of pre-steroid years. Some players are just not likeable and A-Rod, to me, is one of those people. That being said, Boston Red Sox pitcher John Lackey needs to shut his butt ugly face.

Lackey, who is scheduled to face the A-Rod and the Yankees Saturday afternoon, told media members “I’ve got a problem with it (A-Rod playing). You bet I do. How is he still playing? He obviously did something and he’s playing. I’m not sure that’s right. . It’s pretty evident he’s been doing stuff for a lot of years I’ve been facing him. “Sure, we talk about it,” he said. “But talking to the media about it is a little bit different. People have strong feelings." 
“He took me deep the first time I faced him as a rookie, and he admitted to doing stuff back then. There are a lot of things I want back from him.”1
Yes, I am sure A-Rod came right out and admitted to the opposition that he was using performance enhancing drugs.  Unless Lackey can say with 100% surety that he has never played with a PED user in his 11 year career with the Los Angeles Angels and Boston Red Sox, he needs to keep his thoughts to himself. (He might want to note that David Ortiz, his teammate since 2011 failed a drug test in 2003, but it's been swept under the carpet because of Ortiz's popularity with fellow players, fans, and the media.)

As much as it might annoy people, A-Rod also has the right to play while he appeals his suspension. It's all part of the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) that the players signed off on.

Also, how does Lackey know that it's "pretty evident he's been doing stuff?" There were no rumors early in the decade about A-Rod using PEDs. For that matter how do we know Lackey hasn't cheated. His career looked over, he had major surgery, and all of a sudden he looks like a stud again. Is it because of a Bartolo Colon cocktail or good health and hard work?


I personally don't think Lackey cheated his way back, but as a player who has been part of the steroid era, he should simply keep his mouth shut.

1 - Boston Globe

No comments:

Post a Comment