Sunday, July 11, 2010

RIP Bob Sheppard


Really sad news this morning. Bob Sheppard, "the voice of God" has passed away at age 99.

Mr. Sheppard started his duties as the Yankees public address announcer in 1951 and maintained that job until he fell in 2007. He was also the voice of the NY football Giants from 1956 thru 2005.
"Sheppard frequently cited Mickey Mantle as one of his favorite names to announce. Said Sheppard, "Mickey Mantle says 'Every time Bob Sheppard introduced me at Yankee Stadium, I got shivers up my spine.' And I said to him, 'So did I.'""
Sheppard's voice can still be heard in Yankee Stadium when Derek Jeter comes to bat as a pre-recorded message introduces him.

The voice of God will be so very missed.

Read my full article at Baseballdigest.com

No comments:

Post a Comment