Monday, January 11, 2010

I'll Take a Big Mac with a Side of 'Roids


Mark McGwire taking steroids is no shock to anyone. What is shocking is that Big Mac finally admitted it today. With McGwire's new job as St. Louis Cardinals hitting coach looming on the horizon, McGwire knew he had to set the record straight. Maybe it was even a stipulation of him taking the job. Reporters constantly bombarding him with questions would have been a distraction. Whatever the reason McGwire decided it was time to release a statement.

"I used steroids during my playing career, and I apologize," McGwire said in the release. "I remember trying steroids very briefly in the 1989-90 offseason and then after I was injured in 1993, I used steroids again.

I used them on occasion throughout the '90s, including during the 1998 season. I wish I had never touched steroids. It was foolish and it was a mistake. I truly apologize. Looking back, I wish I had never played during the steroid era."
McGwire will expound further on his steroid use when he sits down shortly with Bob Costas for a 7 p.m. EST interview on the MLB Network.

The statement also comes mere days after the announcement of the 2010 baseball hall of fame class. McGwire has suffered in the voting due to his apperance before Congress and the suspicion that he abused PEDs. The Baseball Writers Association of America will now have to decide if McGwire's coming forward will or will not affect his voting status.

No comments:

Post a Comment