Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Hilligoss Streak on the Line

Mitch Hilligoss has been unsuccessful thus far in trying to extend his 35 game hitting streak. The Charlotte River Dog's outfielder is 0-3 with a walk. A hit would break the all-time South Atlantic League record that he currently shares with former Yankees' minor leaguer Scott Seabol.

We'll post back here after his next at-bat.


9:40 pm Update

Hilligoss Extends Streak

It'll look like a line drive in the paper, but Mitch Hilligoss opened himself up to criticism by bunting for a base hit in the 7th inning tonight. There's an unwritten, albeit very silly, rule in baseball that you don't bunt to break up a no-hitter. It's less talked about with hitting streaks, but it may pick up steam after tonight.

The bunt single extended Hilligoss' streak to 36 consecutive games, the new all-time record for the South Atlantic League.

Update 5/31 10:50 am

Hilligoss and his manager respond to questions about bunting.

"(Charleston manager Torre) Tyson mentioned it to me in the dugout, but I didn't think (bunting) was a good idea at the time," Hilligoss admitted.

"But when I got up there and saw the third baseman playing back, I thought about it again," he added. "I looked at the third baseman and Tyson gave me a shrug so I thought, 'Why not.' He threw an outside fastball and once I got it down I knew I had it beat."

"They were shifting towards the left-field line," added Tyson. "I told him the bunt was there."

No comments:

Post a Comment