Tuesday, February 13, 2007

One Mo Contract

Mariano Rivera reported to Yankee's camp a day earlier than necessary yesterday and it was quite clear from his comments that the Bernie Williams situation was weighing on his mind. Mo is in the final year of a 3 year deal and thus far there has been no contact from the Yankees regarding the future. More precisely, Mo realizes that a similar situation could happen to him. He would like to avoid that and hopes the Yankees show him the respect he's earned.

"If they want to talk, we're willing to listen," Rivera said Monday following a pre-spring training workout. "But I'm going to bring nothing to the table. I'm just going to focus on what I have to do and see what happens. I have a contract for this year. That's what matters. All I have to do is focus on this season. I just have to worry about being able to help the team as much as I can."





A healthy and "ready to go" Mariano Rivera works out in Tampa




"I know that I have one more year, that is this year," Rivera said. "After that year, I don't know what's going to happen. Definitely I want to finish my career here, but if they don't give the respect that I deserve, I have to move on.





Gotta go to Mo!






"The Yankees always give me the respect," Rivera added. "When the time comes, if they want me back, they want me back. Otherwise, I'm not going to sit in my house crying. I have to move on."

Here's to hoping the Yankees do the right thing before this season is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment