Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Jeter: There is no rift

One day after Alex Rodriguez "came clean" about the state of his friendship with Derek Jeter, the captain responded that there is no rift between the two. Jeter also bristled somewhat when asked about the 2001 Esquire interview that reportedly soured the friendship between the two.

"I'm not bringing up our relationship away from the field. I haven't brought up the Esquire magazine article since it came up. That's something I haven't talked about. I haven't brought it up."





"All right today you say you hate me and tomorrow I'll say I don't know what you're talking about"




"Has our relationship changed? I've had a lot of relationships change over the years. But what we do away from the field, how much time we spend together really makes no difference when we're playing."

Jeter went on to say that their relationship off the field doesn't matter, and that things are solid on the field.

"Alex never sensed a lack of support from me," Jeter said. "That's something we talked about. Just because you guys don't know about it doesn't mean we haven't spoken. Alex does not sense a lack of support. We talked about that from day 1."

Jeter also downplayed the significance of A-Rod's talk with the media yesterday,

"You have to ask him. I didn't bring it up. You have to ask him if it's a good idea to get it out of the way. To me it was never an issue I felt we needed to talk about."

Now if only the media would let go of this soap opera - because frankly it really doesn't matter.

No Bern Baby Bernie

As expected, Bernie Williams was a no-show in camp yesterday, the required date for position players.

Jason Giambi reported to camp and said he was fine with the Yankees' plan to make him the full-time DH. "It's more important for me to win and be in a World Series," Giambi said. "Whatever the team needs, that's what's going to be best."

Giambi also delivered the early quote of the year when asked about the odds on Roger Clemens returning to the Yankees. "Andy (Pettitte)'s your guy. They share the same lung."

No comments:

Post a Comment