Tuesday, January 21, 2014

8 Years A Blog, and the Future

Melo and the Captain at a promotional appearance in November

On December 12, 2005 I introduced My Pinstripes to the blog world and the "internets". I began not knowing how long I would continue the blog, which is Yankees-centric, but also has a number of posts on MLB, the NFL, NHL, and more.

There have been times where I just didn't feel like writing anything for long stretches of time and other times, like this off-season, where my fingers have been rapidly banging away on a keyboard several times on most days.

Page views have gone up and down, nearly bottomed out when I ignored the blog, and soared at other times. What has always mattered most to me has been the quality of the work even if two people, myself not include, are reading it.  Be that as it may, I want to thank those who visit regularly, those who have come and gone, and those who are new to My Pinstripes.

I hope you all enjoy what I write, I know enjoy writing it. And to me it's more of a baseball journal than a blog. I think the word blog has been worn out, abused by the "real" media, and is considered by many as the black sheep of the family. Those of us who blog obviously feel differently, especially since a "Blog" is simply a format to write in. We are all writing, whether paid or unpaid, whether it's done poorly, well, or greatly. (talk about awkward sentences)

What you see on this baseball journal ;) is opinion, fact, and some rumor. What you will never see are columns written merely for the sake of getting attention. There will no accusation against a player (Raul Ibanez) for supposedly using PEDs when there is no evidence to back it up. I like my friends and relatives, but their word, like mine, is not gospel. You will also not see pictures of WAGs or supermodels, etc., just to drive attention to the site. I think it's a cheap and ridiculous way to get viewers.

While My Pinstripes will continue to roll on, I'll be launching a new site - Designated For Assignment - in April. We'll have stories on the four major sports as well as World Cup soccer coverage, golf, MMA, just about anything you can name that is sports related. We'll also have coverage of movies and music, past, present, and future.

We'll cover Derek Jeter's comeback, Jonathan Quick's goaltending for Team USA in the Olympics (there's a temporary Wordpress site we will be using until the launch of the full site), Peyton Manning and Russell Wilson in Super Bowl XLVIII, and will Carmelo Anthony remain a NY Knick.

And this is where you come in. I am the publisher and managing editor, but if you want to write, edit, take photographs, etc., for the site, please contact me at dsarver@d4assignment.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Drew Sarver

No comments:

Post a Comment