Friday, March 21, 2008

Just Call me Coach

Tino Martinez most definitely did not want to be a coach once he retired from baseball. Simply put, he thought it would be boring. But that's all changed now. In his 2nd year as a volunteer assistant coach at the University of South Florida and in his 1st season as a Yankees spring training instructor, Tino has found a new calling.
"Now that I've gotten involved in it," said Martinez, 40, "I've enjoyed it so much that I definitely want to continue."
Tink has always had a tremendous work ethic and it can only pay off in positives for the Yankees.
"Everything I've heard about Tino from my staff has all been positive," general manager Brian Cashman said. "He works hard, gets right into it. Some guys who have made the type of money he's made don't seem to make the transition to coach well, but he has dug his teeth in."
Cashman plans on having Tino visit the minor league affiliates during the season to work the organization's young players.

This spring, the BamTino has worked extensively with the plethora of players looking to snare some playing time at 1st Base, chief among them Shelley Duncan. They've worked on both the physical and mental aspects of the position.
"Last year Donnie [Mattingly] did a lot for me, and I will forever be grateful for all the work he put in," Duncan said. "Now, with Tino coming in and doing all this work with me, it's icing on the top. It's exactly what I needed."
And of course Tino's old pals like Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada love having him back in camp.
"I think what people miss the most is the fellas," Posada said. "You miss being around the guys, talking to them. Me and Derek enjoy having him around. We're such good friends with him.
Posada, for one, doesn't think it will be long for Tino takes on a bigger role within the organization. The Yankees would be very lucky to have him.

Source: Newsday

No comments:

Post a Comment