Monday, March 10, 2008

Girardi Still not Bowled Over by Play

Though he said that he doesn't feel the play will carry over to any of their future meetings, Yankees manager Joe Girardi was still clearly ticked yesterday about the collision at home plate Saturday that will cost catcher Francisco Cervelli up to 2 months of playing time.
"It's just disheartening in a spring training game," Girardi said. "I just don't understand it."
But the incident won't change Girardi's own philosophy.
"I've told my players that I don't want them running into catchers in spring training because I don't want them or someone else to get hurt," Girardi said. "We'll continue to play the game hard, and in my mind, play the game the way I want them to play it."
Rays manager Joe Maddon still stood by his words yesterday and continued to not understand Girardi's viewpoint.
Source: NY Daily News

"This does not deserve any legs," Maddon said. "It was an issue that occurred yesterday in a game, it was a hard baseball play; the issue is based on whether you should do that in spring training or not, so it's a philosophical difference."

Maddon even made light of the situation when he was asked if he planned to talk to Girardi about the incident before Wednesday's game. "I've always liked Joe," Maddon said. "If he would like to have a conversation, I'd like to talk about politics, I'm good with global warming, I'm good with a lot of different topics on a daily basis. I like iTunes, I download some stuff off iTunes, I like different restaurants, I like red wine. I have a lot of different areas I can go conversationally."

Don Zimmer agreed with Maddon's take on things.

Source: NY Post

"The plate was blocked and our guy bowled him over," Zimmer, a Rays senior advisor, told reporters in St. Petersburg.

"What's that got to do with spring training? That's the way to play the game."

"I'm talking about a guy who's like a son to me. I can't believe that he went after it the way he did," Zimmer said. "And being a catcher on top of it. You block the plate.

"If I slide into him and break a leg, nothing is said. Instead of breaking my leg I bowl him over and it's not the right play? Well, to me it's the right play, spring training or no spring training. Play the game the right way.

"To me, our kid played it the way he thought it was right, and I think it was right. I'm surprised they made such a big thing out if it. I was dumbfounded. Of all people, I mean Girardi's a tough guy, a tough catcher. I don't know what spring training has got anything to do with it."

Reporters looked to a neutral party, Twins manager Ron Gardenhire, when the Yankees visited Ft. Myers yesterday. Gardenhire took the diplomatic route, saying that he agreed that a play like that should not take place in spring training, but he also understood playing the game aggressively and hard.

Reporters of course also approached Shelley Duncan, who is known for his hard nosed style of play. Duncan said he never would have thought to run over a catcher in spring training...until now.
Source: NY Daily News
What it does is it opens another chapter of intensity in the spring training ballgames," Duncan said Sunday about the incident in Saturday's game between the Yankees and Rays. "They showed what is acceptable to them and how they're going to play the game, so we're going to go out there to match their intensity - or even exceed it." Will the young Yankee, known for his all-out style, take a different approach if he has a chance to collide with one of the Rays' catchers on Wednesday? "I don't know," Duncan said. "That will be determined in between third and home."
While there may not be a collision at the plate, that doesn't mean that someone won't take over Scott Proctor's role and plunk a Rays hitter. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment