Monday, March 3, 2008

The Daily Yankeeland

Jon Papelbon has already established himself as an arrogant punk and a perfect fit for the zoo in Boston. Now he has decided to chime in on the Hank Steinbrenner-Red Sox nation scenario. Pap told Hank to "stick to his pencil pushing". Well Pap, stick to pitching and making your ugly mug even uglier on the mound.

Morgan Ensberg is adjusting quickly to life as a Yankee and as a first baseman. He credits coach Kevin Long with making a good adjustment to his swing.
"I'm embarrassed to say it, but in two weeks of working with Kevin, I have felt so much better as a hitter than I have my entire life," Ensberg said. "This is just working on stuff in the cage. This is silly. I would have thought that there was a time that I knew what was going on, but he just makes things simple."
Having another solid right-handed bat would certainly be a boon to the Yankees lineup. Ensberg, a career 3rd Baseman, can also give the Yankees more depth at 1st Base.
"I've felt really comfortable over there," Ensberg said. "I feel pretty competent as an infielder. It doesn't feel so foreign. I'm not as concerned about learning first base as I am about having quality at-bats. It's familiar territory."
Hank Steinbrenner mentioned that the Yankees will be honoring Bernie Williams, though there is no current plan in place. Um, then why say anything?

Hideki Matsui took no BP on Sunday after waking up with a stiff neck. It's not expected to set him back for making his debut later this week.

Mariano Rivera had a very effective bullpen session yesterday, with Jorge Posada looking on. Occasionally Posada stepped into the batter's box to get a better look. Jorge gave his closer 2 thumbs up.

The Yankees reassigned Marcos Vechionacci to the minor league camp earlier today.

No comments:

Post a Comment