Sunday, April 17, 2011

Millwood Makes Yankees Take Notice


He may have been facing hitters that were little more than half his age, but veteran right-hander Kevin Millwood showed the Yankees something Sunday afternoon by nearly no-hitting the Double-A Harrisburg Senators.

Pitching for the Trenton Thunder, Millwood came within four outs of a no-hitter in the first game of a 7-inning doubleheader. His fastball was clocked at 87-88 mph, which is not out of the ordinary for the 36-yr old. Millwood did walk four batters and struck out three with Yankees' front office utility man Gene Michael in attendance (per Mike Ashmore). The Thunder won 7-0 en route to a split up the twinbill.

What's next for Millwood remains to be seen, but he told John Nalbone, “I think by then (May 1) I should be where I want to get to in terms of pitch count,’’ Millwood said. “I don’t think it should take much longer than that to see where I’m at.’’

No comments:

Post a Comment