Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Prospect of the Night

Joba Chamberlain, the Yankees 1st supplemental pick (41st overall) in 2006, earned a promotion to Double-A Trenton after dominating the Florida State League. Last night Chamberlain made an immediate impact on the Eastern League.

The 6'2", 230 pound (that might be kind) right-hander struck out 9 Connecticut Defenders, including the first six outs of the game. Chamberlain threw 88 pitches, 60 for strikes, in 5 innings of work. He limited Connecticut to 3 hits and walked 2.

"I felt good,'' Chamberlain said. "Early, I was locating (my pitches), and I think that was the difference in terms of my confidence. I threw a lot of pitches for strikes. I thought (catcher) Jason Brown did a good job of making me feel comfortable. I made pitches early, and that made things a lot easier.'' Chamberlain's fastball topped out at 96 mph.

Chamberlain, who attended U of Nebraska, was promoted after going 4-0, 2.03 ERA, and 51 strikeouts in 40 innings, at Single-A Tampa.

You can read more on Joba Chamberlain here.

~~~

Mitch Hilligoss' hitting streak is a thing of the past. Brandon Watson of the Columbus Clippers (now a Nationals affliliate) surpassed Hilligoss' streak last night by hitting in his 39th consecutive game. Watson's streak is the longest in 46 years and 3 games shy of the International League record.

No comments:

Post a Comment