Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Oh Leche


I first started following Melky Cabrera's career when he was playing 'A' ball in the New York Yankees farm system. The kid looked like he had talent based on the numbers he produced. The Dominican born Melky put up 8 home runs and 67 RBI in 2004 for Battle Creek and Tampa.

He worked his way up the chain and got a cup of (spilled) coffee in the Majors in 2005. He was clearly over matched at the plate and field, but was back in the Majors as a regular a year later. His best year came in 2009 when he contributed to the Yankees' 27th title with career highs in home runs (13) and RBI (68). But there was always talk of Cabrera being a bit portly and out of shape. It had actually contributed to his demotion to Triple-A during the 2008 season.

Cabrera has had his ups and downs since then - released by the Atlanta Braves during the 2010 season, a career resurrection with the KC Royals in 2011 and an MVP type season this year with the San Francisco.  But Wednesday, the fit hit the shan.

A 50 game suspension handed down by Major League Baseball after it was revealed that Cabrera had tested positive for testosterone. Cabrera at least came clean, no pun intended, about the failed test.
"My positive test was the result of my use of a substance I should not have used," Cabrera said in a statement released by the union. "I accept my suspension under the Joint Drug Program and I will try to move on with my life. I am deeply sorry for my mistake and I apologize to my teammates, to the San Francisco Giants organization and to the fans for letting them down." (quote courtesy of espn.com)
Cabrera had won this year' All-Star game MVP Award in his first appearance. His big night out included a solo home run. The Melk Man, who grew a cult following in NY, was hitting a career high .346 at the time of the suspension, which will wipe out the rest of the regular season. Cabrera would also miss the beginning of any post-season series.

It's especially disappointing when you think a guy turned his career around by doing the work, getting in shape, and really working at his craft. But now Melky's career will always be tainted and his chances for a big time contract after this season just went down the tubes. Of course, the only reason he may have had that opportunity was due to performance enhancing drugs. Another likable player's reputation bites the dust.

For more on the story, I recommend reading Tyler Kepner's excellent piece in the NY Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment