Friday, July 20, 2012

Off Topic: There Are No Winners

I woke up this morning not knowing the final score of the Yankees game out in Oakland. I had gone to bed in the top of the 8th. I figured I would check it and write up a little something on the game. Then I received a text from a friend about Colorado. Nothing specific, but it was obvious something was wrong.

I turned on the television and the rest of the day was not the same. I have always had perspective when it comes to sports. I still go nuts during some games when my team let's mean down, but I know that it's a great diversion to either participate in or watch. But at the end of the day, it's meaningless to what makes the Earth rotate.

I will never be able to get my head around what happened in Aurora, CO last night or anything other type of incident whether it be Columbine or Fort Hood, TX, or thousands of miles away in Norway.

Unfortunately, the media will quickly forget the victims and instead concentrate on guns, placing blame on a political enemy, and other things that aren't as important as the lives that are taken. I'm purposely not watching any coverage, because I know how the left and right media will spin things. I'm just reading update here and there and thinking about the families and loved ones who are grieving right now.

I follow Jesse Spector on Twitter for hockey updates. Turns out he was friends with a budding sportswriter named named Jessica Redfield. She was one of the 14 that have died so far; I say so far, because of the 70 injured, I have no idea how many are serious. Mr. Spector wrote this nice tribute to his friend.

That is just one story of so many that we will hopefully come to learn so that we do not forget the victims. Because if we do forget them everything else is meaningless.

No comments:

Post a Comment